A mizdiagnosis

Why did I choose medicine?!

Sunday, February 11, 2007
My selectives (Week 2)
Interesting things:

1. I'm done with my 20 hours of classes in Mandarin! But don't start having expectations and talk in Mandarin to test me, 'cos I suck! I know so little since I've only done it for a month. However, now that I've done some basic, it's only a matter of time before I start classes again. I'm so happy! What a challenge, to go by myself and learn a new language. Muahaha.. Now it's the stupid elective report I have to write that's giving me headache.



2. There was an operation theater(OT) staff in the hospital who was checking all his 4D lottery tickets. Each time the numbers didn't match, he'd go, "Aiyo." Finally, when all done, he looked at me (since I was staring at him in curiosity) and went, "Looks like I can't retire yet. Have to stay here longer and eat hospital food *sigh*." I was giggling after he said that.

3. I discovered later that the OT staff was actually an anaesthesiologist. A good one too! He kept looking for me to tell me to observe the procedures he did. He'd even made one of the staff nurse hunt me down when I was in another OT to tell me to come and watch him do an epidural! Heehee.. such a nice man. Whenever I was observing an op, he'd make me sit down next to him and teach me all about fluid and electrolyte balances in the body, all the drugs used for anaesthesia bla bla bla.. That's it-lah, I can skip my anaes posting next month already... if only that was possible.

4. Do all anaesthesiologists sleep when an op is going on? I caught 3 of them doing it. Makes me want to consider anaesthesiology as a specialty..

5. Did you know that a thyroglossal cyst extraction takes longer than a Caesarian section with bilateral tubal ligation, dilatation & curretage and laparoscopic cystectomy done together?! Anyway, the time taken is around 3 and a half hours. My fingers were cyanosed after the third hour! Purple fingers!!

6. My dad is too famous. I've come to the conclusion that every doctor(from every department) in Malaysia knows who he is, and that I have very LARGE shoes to fill *sigh*.

7. I saw a fetus boucing from one end of a uterus to another during one of the ultrasound scans I'd observed. For one minute, the doctor, the parents and I were just staring at it bouncing. Cute, but oh-so-weird also.

8. I saw my first Crohn's disease! We hardly get to see any in Malaysia. Lucky for me, unlucky for the poor patient. I saw the doctor do an ultrasound scan, endocope and colonoscope on him.

9. I attended a breastfeeding counselling class. It was so funny! The nurse giving the class advised the women on how to prevent the breast shape/size from shrinking or being unequal in size. Mainly, don't take weird medications to increase/decrease the amount of breastmilk, and wear proper supportive bras which prevents you from having 'papayas' like our grandmothers who didn't have proper bras. Haha. I shouldn't laugh, but then..lol..

10. Things I saw in the OT: thyroglossal cyst extraction, hernioplasty, removal of a oesophageal tumour (omg, I could see the patient's heart!!), D&C for a case of endometrial cancer, Caesarian section with bilateral tubal ligation (is there a unilateral one? :p ), laparoscopic cystectomy for a woman with endometriosis, Wertheim's (radical) hysterectomy. I know no words to describe how lucky I felt.

11. There was this 21 year old girl who came to the clinic and she was diagnosed in the end with polycystic ovarian syndrome. Poor girl, she was told 3 years ago by a General Hospital doctor (when her menses became extremely irregular), that she has more testosterone than oestrogen hormones in her body. The stupid doctor even added that she was meant to be born a boy, not a girl! To add more, she was told that it's going to be hard to get pregnant in the future. Guess what my godfather told her:

Godfather: Do you have a gun?
Girl: *confused* Err.. no?
Godfather: I'll go with you to GH and shoot that doctor.

That girl was in tears for 10 to 15 minutes when she was finally told that the doctor was wrong and that she was meant to be a girl, not a boy! I'm so angry at that GH doctor. How can such a 'pathological' doctor be allowed to treat patients? Note to self: Study more on counselling this year.

What a great week. I'm done with my selectives. 3 more weeks of holiday to go!! One week to shop for London trip, another week to be in London, and one last one to recover from jet-lag!

Guys, hope exams were ok. All the best!
posted by Sha @ 3:16 PM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Profile

Name: Sha
DOB: 6th July
Email: shasynergy@gmail.com

  • more about me?
  • Previous Post
    Archives
    MD Wannabes (Around the World)
    Congratulations!!
    The Real Deal
    The Others
    Consultation Board
    Template

    Free Blogger Templates

    BLOGGER

    Template Design by isnaini dot com

    © A mizdiagnosis proudly powered by Blogger.