A mizdiagnosis

Why did I choose medicine?!

Wednesday, March 19, 2008
The OMG post
OMG. Talk about 2 weeks of non-stop havoc.

Ok-lah. It wasn't a havoc. But it did cause me enough stress to make my face get at least 5 new big, hard, 'painful' pimples. Otherwise, it was definitely a better experience than the ones I've had organizing other functions.

I had the opportunity to organize my batch's graduation dinner last Friday. Honestly speaking, compared with organizing Deeparaya Nite, the Malaysian Medical Students' Conference and other events I've had the privilege to be a part of the 'behind-the-scenes' people, organising my graduation dinner was easier than I'd expected.

I'll send out this picture thru emails this weekend, guys.. don't worry.. click picture for huge-ass version.. haha..

But it was still a huge relief to get it over and done with.

I think all the experience of organising events finally helped me alot. Dealing with higher authorities, delegating jobs, trying to get into peoples' heads, proper time management, making my stand, asking for help from the right people, opening up my mind to new ideas, listening to every opinion, noticing any faults in the planning instantly, 'sucking up' to the right people, having as thick a face as possible, knowing when something is good and when bad things are a big 'NO'... these were things that have somehow become 'second-nature' to me. I didn't lose my temper as much as I did before, I didn't come out of this hating anybody, most of all, I'd actually felt like I couldn't have done it any better. It was almost-perfect, which I am absolutely content with.


There were still mistakes here and there. But looking at how things went that night, I DON'T CARE. I had fun, and I was VERY sure most people had fun that night by looking at their faces.

I couldn't have done it without my batchmates. They were the best people to suffer through 5 years with.. it was a joy knowing that I'd done good enough in their eyes to make the night a memorable one. It was nice of them to let me know that the dinner went well, but really, the person who deserves thanks is every single person who I've had the privilege of knowing the past 2 and a half years in Seremban & Batu Pahat. I couldn't have done it without all of you.


OK, sentimental things aside. Let's get serious.
There was some problem with my application for temporary (or was it provisional?) registration into the Malaysian Medical Council. So my dad and I went all the way to Putrajaya to find whether the problem was dealt with properly. The speed of my registration determines which hospital I'll get posted to, so it was important for my dad and I to make sure I'd get registered a.s.a.p.

We ended up getting 'lectured' for ONE hour. Together with powerpoint presentation also.OMG.

Please let me say again. "OMG!" One hour, ok?!

But I understand the officer's frustration when we came asking what the problem was. When you have to deal with all the applications that were not done properly, or submitted late and deal with complaints from not just medical students... but housemen, medical officers, head of departments, private doctors, lawyers, ministry people.. trust me, the one hour lecture I got must be a very small torture to what this officer must be getting everyday.

All in all, I learnt some stuff. I hope my batchmates are reading this, because I think it's important for you to know. Tell others if you think they should know too.

1. Know about the Malaysian Medical Council. Not just its function and aims and objectives bla bla bla... do you know where it is? Which block, which floor? The problem with depending on others when you are registering, you end up becoming ignorant. And being ignorant, according to this officer, is the biggest attitude problem he has to deal with when it comes to dealing with doctors.

2. Did you know, that out of 1400+ of housemen who are told to apply for full registration, only an average of 2 a year will apply before the one month deadline? And 100+ will only submit their application within 6 months? What happens to the rest? The longest record for submission of application for full registration into MMC was 11 years. The doctor's excuse? He forgot.

3. The date of your submission of application (as in the date the council receives your application) is the date your compulsary service STARTS. The longer you delay, the longer your complusary service will be. Some (if not most) doctors submit their forms together for the Head of Department or Hospital Director (I'm not sure who actually) to be signed/approved/whatever.. but what happened in a few cases, was that the hospital was the one who caused the problem. The officer told me that it's always better and SAFER to submit yourself, but if you can't, just make sure the application is sent by the hospital on time. This does not mean you should be bugging the hospital administration everyday about your application.
People, some things need to be done with a certain 'method' that doesn't drive people crazy whenever they see your face. Next thing you know it'll be like, "Haiyo, that doctor coming back again."

Don't lie. You would get fed-up too.

4. Make sure your documentation was done properly. Certify it properly according to instructions, get the right people to certify it, give the right documents, pay the proper amount, read the instructions again and again and again and check your things again and again and again... and lastly, make sure your form is neat. I think I got lectured for a good 10-minutes of stupid doctors with HORRIBLE HANDWRITING!! I understand a bad handwriting if you're writing into the case note as fast as possible during your ward round, but in a application form that you can fill at home with no need to rush?

Honestly speaking, I think all of this is easier said than done. But yeah, I'm just highlighting things the offiicer told me.

5. Lastly, if problems do come up during your application, don't panic. The people working in the Council, were still more than happy to help me out. What they can't stand are people calling in, demanding to know what's wrong in an authoritative manner, like I'm God, you listen... and trust me, I saw the officer deal with a doctor who was talking in such manner right in front of me, I pitied the officer. Imagine trying to explain to someone their choices of what to do next, but they are busy interrupting and refuse to just listen. But then again, when it's a question of how long you'll end up doing compulsary service and how much longer you'll have to wait to start working in private practice and be a rich person asap, I can understand how some people can panic.

I hope that helps in some way. It'll still be 2 years before I'd need to apply for full registration, but it was good to know now the implication if I don't take my registration seriously in the future, as it'll mean I would be practising illegally if I don't attain full registration.

Waaa.. long post. OMG.
posted by Sha @ 11:03 PM  
5 Comments:
  • At 11:59 AM, Blogger yeoslian said…

    Hi sasha :) hope you're enjoying your hols :) thank you for the valuable information regarding the MMC letter that has been sent to my home recently. I've got a lot of people messaging me asking what to do bla bla bla... so, now what are we suppose to do? isn't IMU suppose to send in the academic transcript thingy cause we don't have it :s so how? did you manage to get to the bottom of the letter issue and find out what we're suppose to do? cause i'm still confused, and going to call mr gabriel up soon.. or IMU for that matter..

     
  • At 12:57 PM, Blogger Sha said…

    Let the university settle it. No need to call them yet.

     
  • At 3:40 PM, Blogger sunshine said…

    hi. thanks so much for the info.i really hav no idea what to do when i receive the letter. regarding this, "some things need to be done with a certain 'method' that doesn't drive people crazy whenever they see your face", haha..what is the appropriate way then? any idea?

     
  • At 8:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i didnt even get the letter lol
    anyway bored as hell how u spending ur holidays?

     
  • At 9:49 PM, Blogger Sha said…

    I'll be selling Formula 1 merchandises in Sepang this weekend! Too bad I won't be watching the race.. but then again, I can catch the race in another year :)

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Profile

Name: Sha
DOB: 6th July
Email: shasynergy@gmail.com

  • more about me?
  • Previous Post
    Archives
    MD Wannabes (Around the World)
    Congratulations!!
    The Real Deal
    The Others
    Consultation Board
    Template

    Free Blogger Templates

    BLOGGER

    Template Design by isnaini dot com

    © A mizdiagnosis proudly powered by Blogger.