A mizdiagnosis

Why did I choose medicine?!

Sunday, February 03, 2008
When what on the outside seems to matter
I know I'm supposed to be on hiatus. But I'm angry. Not like 'I-would-explode-anytime' kind but like 'shocked-that-such-things-DO-happen' kind.

Every one of us had to go for an interview conducted by representatives from certain government departments last week. All of us were running around getting our certificates certified, typing our resumes (doctors need resumes too it seems), cracking our heads over what to wear for the day (even the guys were looking around for the 'right' shirt) and most of all, memorising everything about Malaysia possible from the governmenr to the parliament to the 9th Malaysian Plan to the latest news to the names of our Agong and his wife and the Sultan of Johor's name to the names of people on the Ministry of Health to Chief Justice to Cabinet Ministers etc..

OK, the names-part was all done at last minute in most people's cases.

Anyway, a dear friend asked me about 2 weeks before the interview whether I was planning to buy a 'baju kurung' to wear for the interview. All because some staff from the 'government department' hinted that a baju kurung was appropriate for the interview.

My answer was no. The way I was thinking, I don't have any baju kurung that was appropriate for the interview (most are meant to be used for formal functions), and I wasn't going to spend money buying a new one for the interview when I have other clothes that I thought was appropriate for the interview. Anyway, aren't we supposed to dress up like how we would if we were going to work? Since I was not planning to wear baju kurung to work, why give that kind of impression?

Before I continue, to those who did buy a baju kurung for the interview, I'm not insulting you or making any judgements about you. I know most of you like the idea of having your own baju kurung, and that was the main reason you bought it. The interview was a good reason to go look for one. This post isn't about insulting you.

What made me angry was the response an interviewer gave when one of us decided to just wear our 'normal' working outfit. A long-sleeve shirt with a vest and a long pants. Black pants, black vest.

"Are you here to become a model or a doctor?"

What the-?

To make things worse, to add more insult, SHE had the nerve to make a comment about how my poor friend's parents didn't teach her to dress conservatively. Believe me, when you've been friends to a girl who has been dressing conservatively everytime you see her, and proud of her conservative self, the comment was uncalled for. If hearing about this makes me angry, I can only imagine the pain that comment caused her when she heard it.

Such person needs to be told off. Such interviewer should not be allowed to have such high power in that department. I do not tolerate such judgemental people deciding our fates. But how do we complaint about them? Goodness.. when the right time comes, I won't hesitate to call that person out.

I really hope the interviewer didn't make such comment just because my friend didn't wear a 'baju kurung'. Because if that was the reason, I am disappointed that such people can reach such high positions. But I guess some things can't be controlled. My only hope is that there are only a few of them with that much power around. *sigh*

p/s: I wore a matching pantsuit for my interview. Luckily for me, I didn't receive any comment about my outfit. One month of study break, then I'll be back updating you guys :)
posted by Sha @ 2:32 PM  
6 Comments:
  • At 3:32 PM, Blogger chaileng84 said…

    hey sasha! your story sounds similar to lydia's one. is it the same interviewer?? can't believe they put so much emphesis on dressing conservatively. i'm pretty sure you're not going to wear a baju kurung to work either. to be honest your friend's derssing sounds pretty professional to me... just be patient okay? take care

     
  • At 8:30 PM, Blogger Jing said…

    haih... sasha how are u jing here la... all the best for your exams ya... about your friend... haih... what to do... that's all i can say... let's start a petition.

     
  • At 6:34 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    oh my god! I was furious as well after reading this entry. The interviewer just made a very unreasonable comment, besides, ur friend did wear a formal attire...Vest and black pants wei!!!! Ask her to go get a life, she's jealous that ur friend looks more professional than her, is it? haha..looks like i'm the one who's making unnecessary comments right now... But yeah, what to do?

    Hey girl, all the best with ur exit exams ya!~ Give u my full support! Hugs...waiting for ur good news k!

     
  • At 9:19 PM, Blogger Sha said…

    Oh well. I'll see if I can make a complaint after I pass my exam. For now, I'm just getting sick of studying. Haha.

    jing: heehee.. i find it funny that you're always offering to start a petition. hope you're enjoying sem8!

    weiwei: wow, i havent heard from you for so long! good to know you check out my blog.. do keep in touch.

     
  • At 6:54 PM, Blogger linda_tjo4 said…

    hey!u're still alive?got any answers from the interviews yet? why the heck do u need to know bout malaysian parliment anyway? stoopid ppl!!

     
  • At 7:52 PM, Blogger Sarah said…

    that sounds so ridiculous!!! It's like that interviewer is so narrow minded. what's wrong with a vest?? Gosh!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Profile

Name: Sha
DOB: 6th July
Email: shasynergy@gmail.com

  • more about me?
  • Previous Post
    Archives
    MD Wannabes (Around the World)
    Congratulations!!
    The Real Deal
    The Others
    Consultation Board
    Template

    Free Blogger Templates

    BLOGGER

    Template Design by isnaini dot com

    © A mizdiagnosis proudly powered by Blogger.